189 East Nelson Ave. #157, Wasilla, Alaska 99654
(907) 745-8885 Business and FAX
Hoof Abscess should be treated like any other open wound, except
special care must be taken. The horse is standing on this wound
and contamination will occur if not properly treated.
2. Initially, soak the foot in a solution of Epsom salts, warm water and iodine solution. Add Epsom salts to the warm water and stir, keep adding Epsom salts until a small volume of crystals are evident at the bottom of the container. Add iodine solution until the mix becomes the color of dark tea.
3. Soak the foot in this mixture for 20 - 30 minutes at least twice a day - three times a day is better.
4. After the soak apply a foot wrap or protective boot. Use a poultice if directed.
5. Insure the horse has clean bedding or pasture.
6. Once the abscess is opened and draining, the lameness should improve. Treat the abscess as an open wound for 10 - 14 days by maintaining clean bandages and soaks as directed.
7. If you have any questions or concerns - contact your veterinarian immediately
Veterinary Service, LLC
All Rights Reserved